What is email marketing? Basically the use of email to promote products and/or services. But a better email marketing definition is the use of email to develop relationships with potential customers and/or clients. Email marketing is one segment of internet marketing, which encompasses online marketing via websites, social media, blogs, etc. It is essentially the same as direct mail except that instead of sending mail through the postal service, messages are sent electronically via email.
At Biggs Realty we have ascertained that most Realtors don’t conduct email marketing of any kind. The main reasons for this being email marketing can be difficult, time consuming and costly. However, we have outlined the main reasons (see below) of why email marketing is crucial to your success and why it’s one off the easiest ways to market your business electronically.
Email Marketing Can Be Personalized
Particular groups of customers can be targeted or even individuals. Offering individual customers special deals on listings and/or services on the customer’s birthday, for instance, is one example of email marketing personalization. (A restaurant might send an email to customers on their birthday offering 50% off an entree,) Email marketing helps a business develop and maintain a relationship with a customer over time that hopefully results in increased sales and increased customer loyalty.
The Advantages of Email Marketing
The two big advantages of email marketing are price and ease. Emailing is an inexpensive way to advertise your company and your listings compared to many other types of marketing. It’s also extremely easy to set up and track an email marketing campaign, making it a very accessible type of marketing for small businesses.
Email Marketing Is Still Relevant
In an age of increasing usage of social media for advertising, email marketing still rules the roost.
- 94% of Internet users use email, while only 61% use social media
- 75% of adult online users say that email marketing is their preferred marketing method
- the “opt-in” feature of email allows marketing by consent
- email marketing allows targeting by demographics (age, income, etc.)
- email messages have a much wider range of formatting possibilities than social media messages
- email offers more reporting and analytics capability, such as click-through rates, open rates, bounce rates, and conversions
The huge advantage of email over social media is that prospects and customers are more likely to see an email than social media. Just posting something doesn’t mean that everyone you want to see your message will see it. Your post might not even show up in your targets’ social media streams. However, an email will sit in the inbox until it’s read (or deleted).
Ideally, email marketing should go hand-in-hand with social media. Adding social media “Like” or “Share” buttons to your marketing emails gives an additional way for customers to connect with your brand. Snippets of positive reviews from social media fans can be included in emails, and conversely social media postings can be used to encourage fans to subscribe to your email newsletters.
Email marketing can substantially increase your income if you do it correctly. (See the tips below.) It’s a great way to get people to visit and/or revisit your website or blog and more traffic usually equates to more income.
Email Marketing Tips
1) Build your own list. This has already been mentioned but buying email lists is a waste of time. All you’re going to do by sending unsolicited email is turn off most of the people you’re hoping to turn into customers and run the risk of being labeled a spammer.
2) Adhere to the rules of the CAM-SPAM Act. These rules include having a non-deceptive subject line, a method of unsubscribing, and your name and address at the end of the emails.
3) Don’t just send out ads to buy all the time. Use your emails to build rapport with customers by sharing your expertise and/or that of others, giving them tips and insights they can value. Share information that lets them know more about you and/or your company if it’s interesting.
4) Treat your list well. Remember that the people you’re using email to communicate with have trusted you with their email and name; they deserve your respect. Just as you deserve as chance to convert them from customers to fans and even evangelists for your brand, people who want to talk about and share your message and get involved in any way they can.
5) Stick to a schedule if you’re doing a newsletter. Sending email on a regular day or days can help your subscribers know what to expect from you and when.
How Biggs Takes Email Further
As some of you may know, Biggs Realty is a combination of a Cloud-Based Real Estate Broker and software company. Essentially, we build software to bolster our agents success. Our exclusive email software takes all of the information and/or knowledge you’ve read above and compiles it into an easy to use, automated email marketing system. A few things most agents do not consider with email marketing is how or who will build the email every week, what content will be shown in the email or how complex the analytics / metrics can be with email marketing.
Our system takes complete control of your email marketing campaigns, subscriber lists and content. Here’s how it works:
- Your profile picture, biography, contact information, and reviews are added to the email automatically.
- Your listings are added to the email automatically.
- Other listings from MLS are pulled in automatically, based on the criteria or demographic you define.
- Set your email frequency. Day, time, week your emails will be sent on your behalf.
- All the information is added in to an algorithm that builds your email with all the photos, links and content listed above.
- Your email is sent to all of your subscribers automatically.
- Track results. Quickly see who clicked, who unsubscribed, who viewed and who’s email bounced or was undelivered.
Our system drastically simplifies email marketing for real estate agents by automatically building and sending emails on their behalf. Not just standard drip campaigns but personalized emails with relevant content for your buyers / sellers. If you are interested in how our system works please contact us or visit our technology page.